Saturday, September 12, 2009
Helen Gold 10K run
IT'S OVER! I have to admit though, I was surprised that I could do it! I totally felt like I would have to walk a bit during this run. I had run 6 miles earlier this year, but it was a lot of walking with a hint of run somewhere at the beginning and end! So I signed up for this race a while back as a step toward my goal of 26.2. I dread it last night, but I get to bed at a decent hour. In the middle of the night though I'm awaken by a 6 year old crawling over the top of me! But I make it back to sleep. The alarm went off way to early and I leave the house a little later than I'd like because I ignore the said alarm! I meet Tyler, Ashley, and June at the starting line. With a few words of encouragement to each other, we're off! I'd been running my 3 miles, so I figure that I'll be ok up to that point. There is a water stop at the 1 mile mark which is about the entrance to Menorah hospital off Nall St. Naturally I skip it. I've been running 3 miles! Who needs water now? At about the 2 mile mark, 123rd St. and Lamar, there is a 2nd water stop. Hmpf. Who needs water? I can run 3 miles! Famous last words! We head south on Lamar toward the bike trails and it's all downhill. This can't be a good sign. I know from looking at the map that we have to come back this way. THERE WAS NOTHING IN THE BROCHURE ABOUT HILLS! So I hit the bike trail and make the magical 3 mile mark. Ironically, I'm feeling pretty good! My heel really doesn't hurt. My shins, which had been killing me earlier in the week, are in check. I guess I'll just keep moving! I'm looking for water, but alas it won't come til about the 5 mile mark. Anyway, 4 miles go by and now I'm going back up the hill. I won't lie. It sucked. But I get back to the top, 5 miles, and there's my water! By now, I'm more than ready. A few quick swigs of water and I'm rejuvenated! There's even a pep band playing at the high school! I make it to Metcalf Ave. Not much farther now! But it's another hill! From 123rd St. to 119th St., I swear the hill will never end! Finally it does. Holyl crap! I've gone 6 miles! I round the corner and I can hear the speakers at the finish line. I've done it! I'm really gonna make it! Sure enough! I had just enough energy for a slight burst at the end. A sweet little kid had a bottle of water for me and I nearly knocked them over due to my tunnel vision! I meet back up with Tyler and Ashley after the race. Time for a celebratory beer! Or 2! A 10K completed. I really didn't think I could do it, but certainly happy I tried and even more happy that I succeeded! Next stop? Disney World in Oct. for a 13K! But in my way is a few more long runs on the weekends. It's not over yet! Thanks for the read!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment